Blazons of Ivanovo Oblast Towns
Coat of arms of
* * *
Ivanovo Oblast has very poor heraldic traditions. The most of Russian arms has appeared from the end of XVIIth century up to the end of XIXth century. In this period the Ivanovo Oblast or province, as the independent administrative unit, did not exist. Oblast was created from the parts of Vladimir and Kostroma provinces only in 1918.
After the decree of czar Alexander II about foundation of city Ivanovo-Voznesensk in 1871, the attempts were undertaken to create the arms of this large industrial center. In 1873 the Vladimir governor sent to the Heraldic Department of Senate the project of the Ivanovo-Voznesensk coat of arms. This arms was made by the people, ignorant in heraldry. It included non-heraldic units, such as a wheel, a retort, etc. The Heraldic Department declined the project, therefore the city has not received the arms before the revolution.
In 1918 Ivanovo-Voznesensk province (also known as "Red Province") was created with the center in Ivanovo-Voznesensk ("Red Manchester"). The famous artist I.N. Nefedov in 1918 has created the projects of the coats of arms of Ivanovo-Voznesensk and province. As a basis of these projects the image of the young woman - spinner was taken. However, because of the civil war beginning, the process of confirmation was not lead up to the end, and city again has remained without the arms.
The next step in development of Ivanovo heraldry was made in 1970, when the arms of city Ivanovo was instituted. This coat of arms, created by the artist V.P. Kubashevsky from Leningrad, was accepted and officially authorized by city Executive Committee on the occasion of the centenary of the city. In a basis of this arms the emblems of a shuttle and torch were found. It has become first officially authorized arms of Ivanovo. The new city coat of arms (sitting spinner) was authorized in 1996 by Ivanovo Municipal Duma (author of this arms - architect V.V. Almaev).
In autumn of 1997 the creative group for oblast arms development were organized. Its staff: historians V.P. Terentiev and A.A. Kornikov (professor of Ivanovo State University); the artists S.A. Prikazchikov and A.I. Zhestarev. As a result of complex and laborious work, improvements of numerous variants, agreements and coordinations with the experts, the project of the arms was developed and authorized.
The colours of shield fields (dark red and azure) is transferred from the arms of Vladimir and Kostroma provinces, from which parts in 1918 Ivanovo-Voznesensk province was derivated. A shuttle and a torch are the main emblems represented on old city arms. The shuttle very precisely symbolizes the main branch of oblast industry - textile. The silver torch is a generally accepted in heraldry emblem, symbolizing knowledge, derivation, tendency to progress. Also it is a symbol of great revolutionary traditions of our oblast.
Three narrow wavy silver belts, intersecting both fields of a shield, symbolize the great river Volga, proceeding on Ivanovo Oblast territory. Simultaneously these emblems designate cloths of a fabric, created on a plenty of textile factories of oblast. A main shield is crowned with an ancient Vladimir iron crown. In the heraldic language this crown designates, on the one hand, that the territory at one time was included into structure of a Great principality of Vladimir (XII-XIVth century). On the other hand, the crown symbolizes the rights and independence of Ivanovo Oblast as a subject of Russian Federation.
The figures of lion and eagle in heraldry are named as shield-holders and emphasize a high rank of the arms. The gold lion is borrowed from the well-known Vladimir arms, gold eagle - from Kostroma coat of arms. Shield-holders, as well as crown, give the completed shape to the coat of arms and emphasize, that this is the coat of arms of Russian Federation sibject with all defined rights of an autonomy. The main composition of the arms leans on a wreath of flax and cotton. Flax and cotton are the main raw materials used by Ivanovo textile industry. The two-colour band with a silver strip repeats primary colors and metals of shield fields: dark-red, azure and silver.
Furmanovsky Rayon (Furmanov). Instituted on May 29, 2006. Description: "In skew red and blue field the open silver book and the gold torch, accompanied with the wavy belt in extremity".
The authors of Furmanovsky Rayon blazon: Vladimir Gurov, Vladimir Lazarev, Konstantin Mochyonov, Galina Rusanova, Vyacheslav Mishin.
Gavrilov Posad. Instituted on February 21, 1989.
The authors of Gavrilov Posad blazon are Konstantin and Yury Mochyonov.
Kineshma (old blazon). Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders; in the second part, in a green field two rolls of cloth, as a token, that this city sell it".
Kineshma (new blazon). Instituted on November 23, 2004.
The authors of Kineshma blazon are Mikhail Medvedev (Saint-Petersburg), Konstantin Mochyonov (Khimki) and Sergey Krainov (Kineshma).
Kokhma. Instituted in 2004.
Lezhnevsky Rayon (Lezhnevo). Instituted on December 4, 1996. Description: "In the red field the silver bell tower stands on the green ground, the gold rod of Mercury is placed near the foundation of the bell tower".
The authors of Lezhnevsky Rayon blazon are Vladimir Gurov and Konstantin Mochyonov.
Lukh. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the second part of a shield, in a dark red field, a gold ladder, meaning, that to this city the province establishment gives the tools for climbing on top of the well-being".
Ples. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the second part of a shield - in a silver field the reach of river, as a token of this city name".
Rodnikovsky Rayon (Rodniki). Instituted on December 27, 2001.
Verkhnelandekhovsky Rayon (Verkhny Landeh). Instituted on October 18, 2006. Description: "In the silver field under blue upper part - two red fairy birds".
The authors of Lezhnevsky Rayon blazon are Vladimir Gurov, Konstantin Mochyonov, Galina Rusanova and Kirill Perekhodenko.
Yurievets. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In azure shield with a gold extremity - a silver tower with open gates".
Main Page | Blazons of Provinces | Home Page