Blazons of Karelia Republic Towns
Coat of arms of
Author of new coat of arms of Petrozavodsk is the artist Oleg Chumak.
Hiitola (finnish blazon)
Jaakkima (finnish blazon)
Kem. Instituted on October 4, 1788.
The author of blazon is the artist A.V. Titov.
Kurkieki (finnish blazon)
Olonets (Olonetsk). Instituted on August 16, 1781.
Padany (Podonsky Pogost). Instituted on August 16, 1781.
Povenets. Instituted on October 4, 1788.
Pudozh. Instituted on October 4, 1788.
Salmi (finnish blazon)
In 1632 Swedes founded Sordavalla town on shore of Lappajarvi bay. The official document of town foundation dates back to 1646. The lands around a town consolidated in a county of the Banners. In 1657 Sordavalla was raised to county's town house but in 1681 county was liquidated. Sordavalla town's emblem was based on the Banners' family emblem.
According to Nischtad Peace Treaty of 1721 a town passed into Russia and was renamed to Serdobol. In 1783 by decree of Katharine II Serdobol became chief town of a district in Vyborg province and in 1811 together with whole province belonged to the Finnish Grand Duchy.
After declaration of independence of Finland a town was renamed to Sortavala. As a result of the Winter War under the treaty of March 12th, 1940, Sortavala passed into USSR. On the 15th of August, 1941, Sortavala was occupied by Finnish troops. Under the treaty of September 19, 1944, Sortavala again is on USSR territory.
Suoyarvi (finnish blazon)
Main Page |
Blazons of Provinces |
Main Page | Blazons of Provinces | Home Page