Kostroma Oblast

Blazons of Kostroma Oblast Towns



Coat of arms of Kostroma Oblast was instituted on January 21, 1999.


Kostroma

Kostroma. Instituted on October 24, 1767, re-instituted in 1878. Description: "In a light-blue field a ship under Imperial standard, sailing on the river".

Kostroma

Kostroma. Instituted in 1796, canceled in 1878. Description: "Shield, divided on four parts: in first, red part - a silver cross, second and third parts are gold; in fourth, green part - a silver half moon with horns downwards".

The city Kostroma is one of the most ancient cities of Russia. According to some historical sources, it was based by prince Yury Dolgoruky in 1152, though in the annals for the first time it is mentioned in 1213. From middle XIIIth century up to middle XIVth century existed an independent Kostroma principality including then in structure of Moscow Grand Duchy. Later Kostroma became large trade and craft center of Russia.

However, despite of the wide popularity, neither city Kostroma, nor Kostroma Oblast long time had not the universally recognized emblem. So, in "Titulyarnik" of tzar Alexey Mikhailovich, made in 1672, among 33 territorial emblems of Russia there is no emblem, which would symbolize Kostroma Oblast. Moreover, in 1708 the territory of Kostroma Oblast was divided between Moscow, Arkhangelsk and Kazan provinces. And only in 1719 in structure of a Moscow province the Kostroma district was derivated. Soon after that, somewhere in the beginning of 40-th years of XVIIIth century, in Kostroma the first coat of arms appeared, which is used as an emblem of city. The arms, apparently, was created in Heralds' office and represented as "a cross under a crown". But this arms had any half-official character, as it was not authorized by an empress Elizaveta Petrovna. Besides it has not received a wide circulation in Kostroma.

In 1767 the coat of arms of Kostroma was officially authorized by Ekaterina II. The acceptance of this act was preceded by one interesting event. In the spring - summer of 1767 the empress makes fact-finding trip on Volga cities. On this trip the empress was accompanied with large retinue consisting of courtiers and ambassadors of the foreign states. All this retinue settled down on large river flotilla of the ships, both oar and sailing. Ekaterina II was floating on a large ship "Tver". Besides "Tver" the ships "Volga", "Yaroslavl", "Kazan", "Uglich", "Kostroma" and others entered in flotilla. May 14, 1767 the flotilla has swum up to city Kostroma. Here reigning person was accorded the hearty and the magnificent welcome: artillery salute, continuous ringing of bells, illumination, triumphal arches. All this has made, apparently, indelible impression on empress. Therefore, when Ekaterina II after returning from travel has given the appropriate assignment on creation of the arms of city Kostroma and district, the Heralds' office has decided to represent in the arms a ship, on which empress floated.

However, when at the end of 1796 the Kostroma province was created, the son of Ekaterina II - Pavel I, apparently, for spite the mother, has decided to change the coat of arms of territory. Therefore other arms was given to a new province. It represented a shield divided into four fields: in first (dark red) - silver cross, second and third - gold without figures, and in fourth (green) - silver half moon by horns downwards. The symbolics and origin of this arms is unknown, in any case, of any concrete explanations in the literature it is not revealed. The arms existed during about eighty years. It was once again confirmed by the decree of tzar Nikolay I from November 28, 1834. Just this arms was represented on banners of four Kostroma regiments, created during war of 1812.

In 1878, on sentence of the chief of Heraldic office of Heralds' Department of Senate Kene, some province and regional arms of Russia was advanced. Among them there was also Kostroma coat of arms. Baron Kene has offered to return to the old, little upgrading, arms. In this sort the arms existed to revolution of 1917. Nowadays this emblem is the arms of Kostroma Oblast.

Bui

Bui. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the upper part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the lower part, in a light-blue field, an iron anchor with the buoy, adhered on a gold cord".

Galich

Galich. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In a red field the military equipment with the John the Baptist's cross, rising from".

Kadyi

Kadyi. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the second part of a shield, in a silver field, two bunches of the cut off sedge, meaning a low location of this city".

Kologriv

Kologriv. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the second part of a shield, in a gold field, a horse head with steep mane, meaning a name of this city".

Makariev

Makariev. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the second part of a shield, in a light-blue field, two gold bells, meaning, that before city establishment this place was well-knowned by its monastery".

Nerekhta

Nerekhta (old blazon). Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the second part of a shield, in a gold field, two black snail shells, meaning, that two rivers near this city teem with snails".

Nerekhta

Nerekhta (new blazon). Instituted on March 27, 2003. Description: "In a gold field, two black snail shells, like horns".

Soligalich

Soligalich. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the second part of a shield, in a gold field, three heaps of salt as a sign, that salt-mines were organized there, and therfore the city received its name".

Chukhloma

Chukhloma. Instituted on March 29, 1779. Description: "In the first part of a shield - a part of the Kostroma blazon: in a light-blue field a ship stern with three lanterns and with the dropped ladders. In the second part of a shield, in a light-blue field, two iron gaffs, meaning, that by means these tools the inhabitants of this place fish on the lake, on which name this city was called".


Kirov Oblast Krasnodar Territory

Main Page | Blazons of Provinces | Home Page


щебень карьер . ƒнепропетровск доставка букетов